We are 1100 UUs and 11 UU congregations joined together as the Unitarian Universalists of Greater Pittsburgh, formed in November 2014 to strengthen and grow Unitarian Universalism in and around Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We are better together!
The mission of the Unitarian Universalists of Greater Pittsburgh is to:
- encourage mutual relationships among Pittsburgh area Unitarian Universalists churches in order to live in fellowship, share resources, and act collectively;
- create networks among our congregants, church staff, and ministers;
- address common concerns compelled by our shared values;
- organize and promote opportunities for area Unitarian Universalists to cooperatively learn, play, worship, engage in service, and work for justice; and
- increase the presence and impact of Unitarian Universalism in the greater Pittsburgh region.
Our primary event is an Annual Assembly, a day of camaraderie, connection, and collaboration which includes an annual business meeting and voting delegates. We strive to host other relevant learning programs and fun social events throughout the year.
A seven member Board of Directors leads our efforts and meets regularly. Our 2019-20 directors and officers are:
- John Ballance | Unitarian Universalist Church of the North Hills | 2018-20
- Caron Carnahan | Ginger Hill Unitarian Universalist Congregation | 2017-2019, 2019-2021 | President
- Shane Freeman | Allegheny Unitarian Universalist Church and Beaver County Unitarian Universalist Community | 2019-21
- Stephen Fuegi | Unitarian Universalist Church of the North Hills | 2019-21 | Vice-President
- Beth Houseknecht | Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of Morgantown | 2018-20 | Secretary
- Joe Shaughnessy | Unitarian Universalist Church of the South Hills | 2019-21
- Rebecca Studer | Treasurer | First Unitarian Church of Pittsburgh | 2018-20 | Treasurer
- Nanette Miller | Unitarian Universalist Church of the South Hills | 2018-19
- Ron Smutny | Unitarian Universalist Church of the South Hills | 2017-18
- Mark Tomlinson | Allegheny Unitarian Universalist Church | 2014-17
Unitarian Universalist Association
Our eleven congregations are members of the Unitarian Universalist Association or UUA, which comprises about 1000 congregations across the United States and Canada and is headquartered in Boston. Within the UUA organizational structure, we are typically referred to as the Pittsburgh Cluster. Our Primary Contact with the Central East Region of the UUA is Rev. Sunshine Wolfe.